Have you ever been running late in the morning and realized your car won’t start due to the frigid temperatures outdoors? Or have you parked your car outside overnight only to find the engine won’t start in the morning? If so, you may be interested in installing an engine block heater. An engine block heater is a device that helps to warm up your car’s engine, making it easier to start in cold weather. But how much does it cost to install one? In this article, we will discuss all the details you need to know about engine block heater installation cost.
What is an engine block heater?
First, let’s discuss what an engine block heater is and how it works. An engine block heater is an electric heating device that is installed in your car’s engine. It warms up the engine block, making it easier to start the car in cold weather. Engine block heaters come in different types, including magnetic heaters that attach to the outside of the engine and immersion heaters that go in the coolant system.
How much does it cost to install an engine block heater?
The cost of installing an engine block heater varies depending on several factors, such as the type of heater you choose, the brand, and the labor fees. On average, the cost of installing an engine block heater ranges from $100 to $300. This cost includes the price of the heater itself, which typically costs between $50 and $150, and labor fees, which can amount to $100 to $200. However, the cost may be higher if you have a luxury vehicle or a complex engine that requires more labor.
Factors that determine the cost of an engine block heater installation
The following factors influence the cost of an engine block heater installation:
- Type of heater: As mentioned earlier, there are different types of engine block heaters, each with varying prices.
- Brand: The brand of the engine block heater may also influence the cost. High-end brands tend to cost more than low-end brands.
- Labor fees: Labor fees may vary depending on the mechanic or the dealership that installs the heater. Some mechanics charge a flat fee, while others may charge hourly.
- Complexity of installation: If your car has a complex engine or if the installation requires any modifications to the car’s wiring or coolant system, the labor fees may be higher.
Benefits of installing an engine block heater
Now that we have discussed the cost of installing an engine block heater let’s look at the benefits of having one installed in your car:
- Easier winter starts: An engine block heater makes starting your car in cold weather much easier. It warms up the engine block, which reduces the strain on your car’s battery and starter.
- Longevity of the engine: When you start your car in cold weather, the oil in the engine is thicker, increasing wear and tear on your engine. An engine block heater warms up the oil, reducing engine wear and tear, and increasing its longevity.
- Fuel savings: Using an engine block heater can help you save on fuel costs. It reduces the amount of time you need to idle the car to warm it up, which in turn reduces fuel consumption.
- Environmentally friendly: By reducing the amount of time your car needs to warm up, you reduce the amount of greenhouse gases it produces, making it environmentally friendly.
FAQs about engine block heater installation cost
Can I install an engine block heater myself?
While it is technically possible to install an engine block heater yourself, it is not recommended. It’s a complicated installation process that involves working with the car’s electrical and coolant systems. It’s best to have a professional mechanic or dealership perform the installation.
How long does it take to install an engine block heater?
The installation time depends on the type of engine block heater and the complexity of your car’s engine. It can take anywhere from one to three hours.
Is an engine block heater only necessary for extremely cold weather?
While engine block heaters are most effective in extremely cold weather, it can be helpful in moderately cold temperatures as well. It makes starting your car much easier regardless of the temperature outside.
Installing an engine block heater can be a wise investment for anyone who lives in a cold climate. The average cost of installing an engine block heater ranges from $100 to $300. The benefits of having one installed in your car far outweigh the cost, including easier winter starts, increased engine longevity, and fuel cost savings. If you’re considering installing an engine block heater, it’s best to have it installed by a professional mechanic or dealership. Make sure to consider all the factors discussed in this article to ensure that you get the best value for your money and keep your car running smoothly through the winter months.