Basil is a versatile herb that is widely known for its culinary applications. But did you know that some basil plants also produce beautiful flowers? In this article, we will explore the 7 best flowering basil plants and discuss what you can do with basil flowers. These flowering basil varieties not only add visual interest to your garden but also offer unique flavors and aromas to enhance your dishes. So let’s dive in and discover these delightful basil plants and the creative ways to utilize their flowers.
Detailed Discussion on 7 Best Flowering Basil Plants: What to Do with Basil Flowers
1. Thai Basil (Ocimum basilicum var. thyrsiflora):
– Thai basil produces gorgeous purple flowers.
– The flowers are edible and have a spicy, licorice flavor.
– Use them as a garnish for Thai dishes or infuse them in oils and vinegars for added flavor.
2. Vana Tulsi (Ocimum gratissimum):
– Vana Tulsi basil has delicate lavender flowers.
– The flowers have a strong, peppery flavor and are often used in herbal teas.
– Dry the flowers to make a fragrant herbal tea that offers numerous health benefits.
3. Lemon Basil (Ocimum basilicum var. citriodorum):
– Lemon basil features small, white flowers.
– The flowers have a refreshing lemony scent and flavor.
– Use them to flavor desserts, beverages, salads, or as a garnish for seafood dishes.
4. Purple Ruffles Basil (Ocimum basilicum):
– Purple Ruffles basil produces stunning deep purple flowers.
– The flowers have a milder flavor compared to the leaves.
– Add them to salads, fruit salads, or use them as a creative edible decoration.
5. Cinnamon Basil (Ocimum basilicum var. cinnamon):
– Cinnamon basil produces vibrant pink to purple flowers.
– The flowers have a distinct cinnamon aroma and flavor.
– Use them to infuse oils, make flavored sugars or syrups, or add a unique twist to savory dishes.
6. African Blue Basil (Ocimum kilimandscharicum x basilicum):
– African Blue basil displays beautiful lavender flowers.
– The flowers have a subtle floral aroma and taste.
– Use them in salads, infuse them in vinegar, or incorporate them into desserts.
7. Anise Basil (Ocimum basilicum var. anisatum):
– Anise basil features pretty white flowers.
– The flowers have a strong anise or licorice flavor.
– Use them in teas, infuse them in cocktails, or incorporate them into baked goods.
Concluding Thoughts on 7 Best Flowering Basil Plants: What to Do with Basil Flowers
Basil flowers not only enhance the aesthetics of your garden but also offer a range of flavors and aromas that can elevate your culinary creations. Experimenting with different basil varieties and their flowers can add a unique twist to your dishes, teas, and infusions. From Thai basil’s spicy notes to lemon basil’s refreshing zest, each basil flower has its own distinctive characteristics. So, the next time your basil plants start blooming, don’t hesitate to pluck those flowers and explore the endless possibilities they offer in your kitchen.
FAQs about 7 Best Flowering Basil Plants: What to Do with Basil Flowers
Q1: Can I eat basil flowers?
A1: Yes, basil flowers are edible and can provide unique flavors and aromas to your dishes.
Q2: How do I use basil flowers in cooking?
A2: Basil flowers can be used as a garnish, infused in oils or vinegars, added to salads, desserts, beverages, or even incorporated into baked goods.
Q3: Are all basil flowers edible?
A3: Most basil flowers are edible, but it’s essential to ensure that you are using organic and pesticide-free flowers.
Q4: Do basil flowers have any health benefits?
A4: Basil flowers, like the leaves, contain antioxidants and essential oils that may offer several health benefits. However, they should not substitute for professional medical advice or treatment.
Q5: How should I store basil flowers?
A5: To preserve the flavors and aromas, store basil flowers in a dry, cool place, or dry them for future use.
Incorporate these flowering basil plants into your garden and explore the unique flavors and aromas they offer. Don’t let the beauty of basil flowers go to waste – get creative in the kitchen and enjoy the delightful experience they bring to your culinary adventures.