Pulled pork enchiladas are a perfect combination of Tex-Mex and Southern cuisines. The shredded pork, wrapped in soft corn tortillas, covered in tangy sauce and cheese, baked to perfection…it’s a true culinary delight. In this article, we’ll explore the deliciousness of pulled pork enchiladas and provide you with a recipe that’ll leave you craving for more.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to prepare your pulled pork enchiladas:
- 3 cups of cooked, shredded pork
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 20-22 corn tortillas
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterrey jack or a mix of both)
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced scallions (for garnishing)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Now that you have all the ingredients, it’s time to cook.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the pork, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the pork is slightly browned.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes to the skillet. Cook for another 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a separate saucepan, mix the chicken broth and sour cream. Heat over low heat until the mixture is warm, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take a tortilla and fill it with 2-3 tablespoons of the pork mixture and a sprinkle of cheese. Roll and place in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour the warm sour cream mixture over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the enchiladas are heated through.
- Serve hot, garnished with sliced scallions. Enjoy your savory and delicious pulled pork enchiladas!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is pulled pork?
Pulled pork is a dish made by slow-cooking pork shoulder or pork butt until it is tender enough to be shredded, hence the name. It is a popular barbecue dish, especially in Southern cooking.
Can I make pulled pork enchiladas ahead of time?
Yes, you can. Assemble the enchiladas in a dish and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to cook, remove from the fridge and bake as directed.
Can I use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas?
While corn tortillas are more traditional in Mexican cuisine, you can use flour tortillas if you prefer. Just keep in mind that the texture and flavor will be slightly different.
Pulled pork enchiladas are a delicious and easy-to-make meal that’s perfect for any occasion. The recipe provided here is a great starting point, but feel free to update it with your own preferred seasonings and ingredients. Give it a try and see how quickly it becomes a favorite in your household! Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family.