Do you love BBQ sauce on your grilled meats and veggies? The store-bought BBQ sauces are often loaded with sugar, preservatives, and additives. But fret not; making a homemade BBQ sauce is simple, quick, and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. In this article, we’ll share an easy homemade BBQ sauce recipe that you can make in just 15 minutes.
Detailed discussion on easy homemade BBQ sauce recipe
To make a basic BBQ sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine all the ingredients
- Whisk to combine, ensuring all the ingredients are well-blended
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Let the sauce cool to room temperature before using or storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
The recipe above is for a classic BBQ sauce, but feel free to tweak it to suit your taste preferences. Here are some variations you can try:
- Spicy BBQ sauce: Add some cayenne pepper or chili flakes to the recipe to give it a kick
- Honey BBQ sauce: Replace the brown sugar with honey to create a sticky and sweet sauce.
- Mustard BBQ sauce: Add some Dijon mustard for a tangy flavor.
Concluding thoughts on easy homemade BBQ sauce recipe
Now that you know how to make a homemade BBQ sauce, you’ll never have to reach for the store-bought version again. This recipe is versatile, and you can customize it to suit your taste preferences. It’s also a fantastic way to reduce your consumption of processed foods. So, what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try and wow your family and friends with your homemade BBQ sauce.
FAQs about easy homemade BBQ sauce recipe
What can I use instead of brown sugar?
If you don’t have brown sugar, you can use maple syrup, honey, molasses, or white sugar as a substitute.
How long does homemade BBQ sauce last?
If stored in an airtight container in the fridge, homemade BBQ sauce can last up to two weeks.
How can I make my BBQ sauce less sweet?
If you prefer a less sweet sauce, reduce the amount of sugar you use. You can also add more vinegar to balance out the sweetness.
Can I freeze homemade BBQ sauce?
Yes, you can freeze homemade BBQ sauce for up to three months. Make sure you store it in a freezer-safe container and defrost it before use.
Can I use this sauce as a marinade?
Absolutely! This sauce makes an excellent marinade for chicken, ribs, or pork. Simply coat your meat with the sauce and let it marinade for at least 30 minutes before cooking.