Building a brick patio is not difficult, the only things you need are some tools and the right materials.
First, level out the area where your patio will be built. This is to ensure that your bricks will not be uneven.
Next, lay down a layer of landscape fabric or weed barrier to keep weeds from growing on your patio.
Then, start laying out your bricks with mortar that you mixed up ahead
- 1. 4x8x2 Paving Bricks
- 2. Gravel
- 3. Landscape Fabric
- 4. Sand
- 1. Level
- 2. Mallet
- 3. Wheelbarrow for hauling sand and gravel
- 4. Shovel
- 5. Mason’s Line
- 6. Plywood
- 7. Broom
- 8. Hose for washing down Patio
- 9. A long piece of 2×4 to be used as a Screed
Step By Step Guide:
1. Measure out the area where you would like to place the patio. If you are planning to make a rectangular patio, measure the patio diagonally from corner to corner. The two measurements should be equal.
2. Dig out the area where you plan to put the patio. You should dig out at least 8 to 10 inches. You should also use a level to make sure that the area slopes a little away from the house for drainage purposes.
3. Layout your brick pattern now to make sure it works. This way if it doesn’t work you can correct it now. I would recommend doing the basketweave design. Here is a guide on how to do this particular pattern.
This type of pattern required no brick cutting and looks nice. You should make sure that there is an extra 2 inches around the perimeter of your patio which will be used to insert brick edgings.
4. Now place your brick edgings around the perimeter of the patio to form a frame.
5. After you have done that, remove the bricks inside the frame but keep the brick edgings. Fill this area with 4 to 6 inches of gravel. Then pack down the gravel.
6. You should now put a layer of landscape fabric over the gravel to suppress potential weeds. Now pour 2 inches of sand over the fabric. Then use a 2×4 to level out the sand.
7. Now it’s time to lay the bricks down. Start in one corner and press the bricks down in the ground.
You should make sure that the bricks are pressed tightly together. Strike the bricks with a rubber mallet to make sure they are pressed tightly into the sand.
8. Run a mason’s line row by row into the sand as a guide. This will ensure that your pattern is even.
9. Spread some sand over the bricks with a broom and then hose the bricks down so the sand will settle. Repeat this until the cracks between the bricks are filled.
1. Make sure you have a few people with you to help you with this project. It’s not a difficult task from a technical standpoint but it will take a lot of time and effort.
2. Kneel on a piece of plywood on top of the bricks when laying down the brick pattern. This will ensure that the sand doesn’t become uneven.
3. Rectangular patterns work best if you are doing this for the first time. When venturing into other shapes it will get more complicated and will require cutting bricks.
How much does it cost to build a brick patio?
There are many factors that will affect the final price of your brick patio. The size of the patio, the type of bricks you use, and if it is a DIY project or done by professionals are some of them.
The cost of building a brick patio can vary between $5,000 and $25,000 depending on these factors.
The average cost for a professional to build a brick patio is around $15 per square foot. This means that an 800-square-foot patio would cost about $12,000 to build.
Can you make a patio out of bricks?
Can you make a patio out of bricks?
The answer to this question is yes. It is possible to use bricks to create a patio. However, it is important that you have the knowledge and skill set to do so.
What do you put under a brick patio?
One of the most common mistakes people make when building a brick patio is not putting enough material underneath it. This will cause the bricks to sink into the ground and eventually crack. This mistake can be avoided by using a layer of gravel or sand under the bricks.