Are you looking for a delicious and savory side dish to complement your barbecue feast? Then smoked BBQ beans recipe is the perfect addition to your menu. These tasty, protein-packed beans are slow-cooked to perfection with a smoky flavor that will leave your taste buds wanting more!
In this blog, we will discuss everything you need to know about smoked BBQ beans recipe, from ingredients to cooking methods and serving suggestions. So, let’s get started!
Ingredients for Smoked BBQ Beans Recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- ¼ pound bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
Follow these easy steps to prepare your smoked BBQ beans:
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the dried navy beans and put them in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the beans and bring them to a boil. Let them cook for 2 minutes then remove them from the heat, drain the water and rinse the beans in cold water.
- In a large skillet, fry the diced bacon until it is crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until they are soft.
- Add the BBQ sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Mix the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Transfer the beans to a large baking dish or casserole dish and pour the BBQ sauce mixture over them. Toss to coat.
- Add enough water or chicken stock to cover the beans with 1 inch of liquid.
- Place the dish in the smoker and cook it for 4-5 hours, or until the beans are soft and the sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Sprinkle the crispy bacon on the top of the beans and serve hot.
Smoked BBQ beans are a versatile side dish that pairs perfectly with many barbecue favorites. Here are a few suggestions:
- Serve the beans with pulled pork sandwiches or grilled chicken for a classic barbecue meal.
- Add a scoop of smoked BBQ beans to your potato salad for an extra punch of flavor.
- Top your baked potato with smoked BBQ beans for a unique twist on a classic side dish.
Smoked BBQ beans recipe is a delicious and unforgettable side dish that has become a staple at any barbecue party. With its sweet and savory flavor and a hint of smokiness, it’s no surprise that these beans have become so popular.
So, if you want to impress your guests at your next barbecue, try this recipe and take your taste buds on a savory adventure!
FAQs about Smoked BBQ Beans Recipe
What kind of beans should I use for this recipe?
We recommend using dried navy beans for this recipe. However, you can also use other beans like kidney beans or black beans.
Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker or Instant Pot instead of a smoker?
Absolutely! You can cook these beans in a slow cooker or Instant Pot for 6-8 hours on low heat. This recipe also works in a Dutch oven or on a stovetop.
How long can I store leftovers?
Store leftover smoked BBQ beans in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, you can microwave them or heat them in a pot on the stovetop.